Friday 23 January 2009

Icelandic Cheesecake

I don´t know why I call it an Icelandic cheesecake....maybe becouse its my recipe and i´m from iceland. I should have added some icelandic brennivin or rotten shark essens to the cake but that would probably have rouined it. It´s a very smooth and simple cake and the cinnamon base goes really well with the fresh lemony and cheesy filling. You could try to add some hazelnuts to the base which would work really well too, or do a merangue topping with passionfruit, or, or, or....you think of something.

12 st digestive biscuits
100g butter, melted
11 tsp cinnamon
250g cream cheese
250g mascarpone cheese
1/2 dl caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp flour
zest and juice of 1 lemon

Preheat the oven to 180˚C.

Add the biscuits to a foodprosessor and blitz. Pour in the melted butter and cinnamon and blits again until a sandy texture.

Press the biscuit base down onto a pie dish with your hands. Bake the base in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes.

Beat together the cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, sugar, vanilla sugar, zest and juice of the lemon in a bowl. Beat in the eggs. Then shift in the flower and mix well.

Pour into the pie dish and bake for 30 minutes on the lowest rack, so the top does not burn.
Shift some icing sugar on top and run a blowtorch over to make the crust

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm hún er svo góð. ætla að fá mér afgangana í kvöld :)

Iris Heidur said...

Damn you Rakel..mig langar einmitt í svona sætindi akkúrat NÚNA. Lofa að græja þessa mjög fljótlega og segja mína skoðun :)

Anonymous said...

Nice one, but I don´t know what brennivin is and I can´t imagine that rotten shark tastes good. This cheesecake is propably boarderline Italian, with the mascarpone and lemons. Either way...I like it.

Johanna

rich (them apples) said...

That's a lovely photo.

I've had very little luck with cheesecake. My last attempt looked great when it came out of the oven, but didn't set very well. When I took the tin away, the sides started to bow out, so, thinking I was smart, I decided to put it in the freezer to try to make it cool down and set faster. This caused the sides to utterly collapse, which left me with a flattened, but still utterly delicious, mess.

I had visions of crisp slices of perfect cheesecake, but the results were somewhat different.

I'll try the Icelandic version next time.